Drinking Your Way Through Michigan
Michigan is a great place for road trips, and with it being a border state to Canada, it makes it that much easier. Here’s one road trip that’s worth exploring if you’re a fan of beer, wines, and spirits. However, please ensure you have a designated driver, and as always drink responsibly. See the list below and start marking that map up!
- Alpena: Austin Brothers Beer Company
- Boyne City: Stigg’s Brewing Company
- Charlevoix: Lake Charlevoix Brewing Company
- Flint: Redline Brewing Company, The Market Tap
- Grand Haven: Grand Armory Brewing Co.
- Grand Rapids: New Holland’s Knickerbocker Brewpub & Distillery, Creston Brewery, City Built Brewing Company, Grey Line Brewing Co. Speciation Artisan Ales, Atwater Brewery & Spirits (new location)
- Lansing: Lansing Brewing Company, Old Nation Brewing Company
- Ludington: Ludington Bay Brewing Company, Starving Artist Brewing Company
- Marysville: Harsens Island Brewery
- Mount Pleasant: Cranker’s Brewery, HuntersAle House
- Petoskey: Burnt Marshmallow Brewery
- Saginaw: Oracle Brewing
- Saline: Salt Springs Brewery
- Spring Lake: Dutch Girl Brewing
- St. Clair: War Water Brewery
- Traverse City: The Ridge Microbrewery, Big Cat Brewing
- Wyoming: Kitzinger Brewery
Here’s a map to the more than 150 breweries.
- Bellaire: Torch Lake Cellars
- Benton Harbor: Vineyard 2121
- Fennville: Cranes Orchards (now offering wine and hard cider)
- Fenton: Seven Lakes Vineyard
- Lexington: 3 North Vines
- Marine City: Blue Pike Cantina and Winery
- Petoskey: Maple Moon and Sugarbush Winery, Walloon Lake Winery
- Rockford: Kayle Rae Cellars
- St. Joseph: Lazy Ballerina Winery
- Traverse City: Bonobo Vineyards, Rove Estate
- Washington: Westview Orchards Winery
Here’s a map to the more than 100 wineries.
Distilleries & Other Spirits
- Ann Arbor: Ann Arbor Distilling Company
- Grand Rapids: Gray Skies Distillery, Vander Mill Ciders (tasting room and restaurant)
- Hudsonville: Farmhaus Cider
- Kalamazoo: Green Door Distilling
- Lansing: American Fifth Spirits
- Saginaw: Old Town Distillery
- Traverse City: Traverse City Whiskey Company, Suttons Bay Ciders, Taproot Cider House
Here’s some suggested itineraries to get you started
Visit Pure Michigan Tourism for more information.
About the Author
Bryen Dunn is a freelance journalist based in Toronto with a focus on tourism, lifestyle, entertainment and community issues. He has written several travel articles and has an extensive portfolio of celebrity interviews with musicians, actors and other public personalities. He’s willing to take on any assignments of interest, attend parties with free booze, listen to rants, and travel the world in search of the great unknown. He’s eager to discover the new, remember the past, and look into the future.