Opportunity to join Toronto’s 2SLGBTQ+ Advisory Committee – Apply by April 2, 2023
The City of Toronto is seeking members to sit on the Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (2SLGBTQ+) Advisory Committee for its 2023 to 2026 term.
The Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (2SLGBTQ+) Advisory Committee provides advice to City staff and City Council on identified priority issues to support the elimination of barriers and inequities experienced by 2SLGBTQ+ communities in accessing City of Toronto programs and services. The Council Advisory Body will bring government, policy and community leaders to the table to focus on both service level barriers as well as structural and systemic challenges faced by 2SLGBTQ+ communities.
Apply online by April 2, 2023
Members of the committee are expected to provide policy advice:
- To ensure the interests and needs of the diverse 2SLGBTQ+ communities are reflected in City programs and service delivery;
- On strategies aimed at elimination of barriers faced by 2SLGBTQ+ communities when accessing City programs and services;
- On emerging issues and trends of significance to the 2SLGBTQ+ communities as it relates to the City services and programs.
Term of office
Public members are appointed for a term coincident with the term of City Council. The Advisory Committee will meet until the completion of its mandate or the end of the current City Council term, whichever comes first.
Committee size and composition
The committee consists of 15 members and is composed of:
- 2 Members of Council
- 9 public members comprised of community and policy leaders with lived experience and/or expertise in 2SLGBTQ+ issues and reflecting the diversity of the community
- 2 youth members, between the ages of 18 and 29
- 2 elder members, who self-identify and represent the wisdom of their communities
Chair and co-chair
The Chair will be a Member of City Council, appointed by City Council and, at its first meeting or as soon as possible after, the Advisory Committee will elect a member of the public as Co-Chair.
In addition to the general eligibility requirements set out in the Public Appointments Policy , members should collectively bring the following skills and expertise to the committee:
- A strong interest and/or lived experience in equity and inclusion of 2SLGBTQ+ communities
- A strong understanding of intersectionality and the diverse range of needs and concerns facing 2SLGBTQ+ communities, gained through personal and/or professional experience
- Knowledge of key priority issues facing 2SLGBTQ+ communities in Toronto including public health, employment, social inclusion, shelters and housing
- Availability to participate in meetings during business hours
The advisory committee will meet up to four times per year at the call of the chair. Meetings take place during business hours and the duration of meetings is approximately 2.5 hours.
- Public members of the Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (2SLGBTQ+) Advisory Committee receive an honorarium of $125 per meeting attended, to the maximum number of meetings specified in the Terms of Reference for this advisory body.
- Honoraria are not intended for members who serve on the Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (2SLGBTQ+) Advisory Committee as representatives of organizations or businesses where they are employed.
Apply online by April 2, 2023
Staff Report on Creation of a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Two-Spirit (LGBTQ2S+) Council Advisory Body
About the Author
Bryen Dunn is a freelance journalist based in Toronto with a focus on tourism, lifestyle, entertainment and community issues. He has written several travel articles and has an extensive portfolio of celebrity interviews with musicians, actors and other public personalities. He’s willing to take on any assignments of interest, attend parties with free booze, listen to rants, and travel the world in search of the great unknown. He’s eager to discover the new, remember the past, and look into the future.